You can take a break at Instagram anytime by temporarily disabling your Instagram account.
What do I need to know before deactivating my Instagram account?
Turning off an Instagram account, photos, comments, and likes are hidden until the account is reactivated. They are not deleted.
However, you can keep a backup of your photos, videos, and stories to use offline as you wish.
Also, each account can be deactivated only once every 7 days, and reactivation requires several hours after deactivation, ie it is not immediately done from time to time.
Finally, you should be aware that there is also an Instagram account deletion, which of course is different from deactivation.
How do I keep a copy of all my Instagram photos, videos and stories?
- Open the Instagram app and select the last little icon from the horizontal menu.
- At the top right of the screen, tap the three-line icon.
- In the menu that appears, tap the “Settings” option at the bottom.
- In the new menu, select “Security”.
- Then click “Download Data”.
- In the new screen, enter an email in the field where you will receive the link to download all of your Instagram account information.
- Click the “Request” option.
- Then type in your Instagram account password to confirm that the application is requesting to you and not to a third party.
- When you’re ready, click ‘Next’ at the top right.
If all goes well, then the next screen should read “Request for data sent”.
At this point, you will have to wait until you receive the email to continue the process below.
- Open the email titled “Your Data on Instagram” and click on the blue “Download Data” option.
- The link will not open in-app but in the browser. Enter your username and password in both fields to sign in to Instagram.
- Click on the ‘Connect’ option.
- Once you have successfully logged in, click on the ‘Download Data’ link on the new page.
A .zip compressed file and your username in its name will download to your device and contain everything from your Instagram account, from comments and messages to all your photos, videos and stories.
How do I temporarily deactivate Instagram account?
The deactivation process is out of the mobile application, so you can follow it on either a mobile device or a computer. I did it on a smartphone.
- Click here. At this point, if you are not logged into Instagram you will be prompted to log in before proceeding.
- Choose one of the reasons why you are switching off. Instagram will try to suggest solutions to you depending on your choice.
- Enter your account password.
- At the bottom, select the “Temporary Account Deactivation” option.
- A popup box will appear to ask if you are sure of your choice. Click ‘Yes’.
If all goes well, then you will be automatically logged out and your account has been successfully disabled.
How do I reactivate my Instagram account?
Please be aware that re-activating an Instagram account cannot be done immediately after you deactivate it, but it does take a few hours to complete (my test took 10 hours).
With a simple link to your details, you’ll find your account again just as you left it before it was disabled. In some cases, data may be delayed and it may take some patience.
Re-activating, you will see the message “Account re-activated” on your device screen.